Alas, the new school year is upon us, and I don’t know about you, but for me, that means the struggle of getting up for classes has been renewed. With that in mind, I’ve decided to make this week’s blog post about songs that are going to help you start your day off with a great sense of energy.
1. She’s A Riot by The Jungle Giants – This is probably one of my favorite songs of all time,and it’s actually working it’s way to being my favorite song . The first time I heard it, I was immediately hooked within the first 10 seconds, and by the end of it, I was in love. This song is the perfect way to start your day because of the amazing energy it conveys and wonderful love story it tells.
2. Our Own House by Misterwives – If you’ve been with me from the beginning of this blog, you’ll know that Misterwives is one of my favorite bands and I wish I could put their whole discography on here. I’ve chosen Our Own House because of the lively beat it has and the wonderful lyrics it provides. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself putting this on repeat.
3. Call It What You Want by Foster the People – Foster the People is one of my favorite bands of all time and almost every song on their first album, “Torches” is nothing short of sweet, catchy, and inspiring. Call It What You Want is one of the best songs on the album, in my opinion, because of the catchy yet unconventional backing music, and the lyrics of it. The first line of the first verse says “Yeah we’re locked up in ideas, we like to label everything.” Living in a time in which so many people feel the need to label themselves, this song is a great reminder that you don’t have to and that life is here to be lived.
4. Karaoke by Smallpools – Much like Misterwives, I wish I could put the entire Lovetap! album on this list, because it’s just that good. Each song wants to make you get up and dance, but I’ve chosen Karaoke because of the message it has.It’s just a great song that’s fun and energetic with the message of just living life in the moment and having fun. It’s a perfect song that’ll help you start the day.
5. Daylight by Matt and Kim – If you haven’t heard of Matt and Kim, you should probably fix that, I mean, they’re Matt and Kim. Don’t fret though, I won’t judge you too harshly because after reading this article, I just know that you’re going to go look them up. More specifically, Daylight by them. While this is a band that has a great way of providing energy through every song, album, and live show, this song is probably the most conveying out of all of them. Well, at least I think so.
6. Time & Place by Last Dinosaurs- As I’ve said before, Australia gives us some pretty amazing music, and Last Dinosaurs are no exception. Their first album “In a Million Years” is one that I recommend to everyone. I’ve chosen Time & Place however, because there’s never a moment where this song doesn’t have a heightened sense of energy. It starts off with a fun-filled energy from the first second all the way to an amazing outro.
7. Undercover Martyn by Two Door Cinema Club – It’s no secret that Two Door Cinema Club is my favorite band of all time and this song is probably one of my favorite songs by them, right after Eat That Up, It’s Good for You. However, the reason I’ve chosen Undercover Martyn is because it’s a quick cute song with a great message. It’s about going out and just doing the right thing and being a good person. How else should you start your day?
8. Still Fond by Cut Off Your Hands – Yes, yes, I know they sound very scary, but I promise you that they aren’t! They’re quite the opposite and this song is the perfect depiction of that. It’s got that perfect upbeat melody that will having you up and moving in no time, and the lyrics are honestly so adorable, you won’t be able to help but smile.
9. Anna Sun by Walk the Moon – Walk the Moon is a band that I’ve been following for multiple years, and though I’ve loved not only their debut, their sophomore and live album, my heart will always belong to this song, one off their first album. This song has a way of giving you a strong sense of nostalgia whether or not you’ve actually having experienced what the song describes. It’s a song all about making the most of your teen years despite the fact you may be living in a no-name town and can leave you with a sense of inspiration to just love life.
10. Seeing Stars by BØRNS – I first heard of BORNS when he was opening for Misterwives on their “Our Own House Tour” and he was known for his song Electric Love. While I think everything BORNS releases is simply amazing, there’s something about Seeing Stars that just makes it the perfect song for getting you in a great mood to start the day. It’s a cute love story that’s accompanied by just a lively beat that will have you singing it all day long.
11. Ride by twenty one pilots – This is probably my favorite song by twenty one pilots, and if you’ve been listening to any alternative or even top 40’s radio station this summer, you’ve probably already heard it. I’ve been a fan of twenty one pilots since early 2013, and I think this song perfectly encompasses a great approach to life. Life is short, enjoy the time you have and live life to the fullest. Accompanied with a great instrumental, and just overall great lyrics, this song can really make your day better.
12. Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand – This song is just great. Honestly, I can’t even begin to describe why I love this song, but I guess I could start with, what I like to call, iconic, guitar track, at least in the indie rock world. It’s even been considered one of the greatest indie anthems by Q TV. While yes, this may not be a get up and dance tune, it’s certainly one that can easily but you in a better mood.
So, there you have it, 12 songs that I personally feel can lift you spirits and help you start your day off right. Hopefully you’ll give the playlist down below a listen and whether it be the lyrics or the music behind them, I hope it’s able to make your day a little bit better.